College of Natural & Agricultural Sciences

B. Sharanowski
-
Genomics Building, 1102A

Title: "Evolution of Hymenoptera: Eusociality, Parasitism, and Speciation."

Abstract: Hymenoptera (including bees, ants, wasps, and sawflies) is one of the most diverse and interesting lineages of organisms on the planet. Hymenoptera utilize a wide range of life history strategies from intricate eusocial societies with caste polyphenism to co-opting viral genomes for successful parasitization of other arthropods. In this talk, I explore several different aspects of trait evolution in various lineages of Hymenoptera. First, I discuss the evolution of eusociality in Vespidae and how ancestral reconstructions of preimaginal morphophysiological differences call for a new theory on how eusociality may have evolved. Second, I discuss the phylogeny in Ichneumonoidea and examine how parasitic strategies evolved in this exceptionally diverse lineage. Third, I demonstrate how ecological, morphological, and genetic data work in concert to delineate cryptic species for use in biological control. cryptic species delimitation and biocontrol research. Finally I conclude with new developments from my lab including mobile technology for IPM and pollinator conservation.

Contact Information
Rogers Burks
Entomology 951-827-5740 roger.burks@ucr.edu
Type
Seminar
Sponsor
Entomology
Target Audience
Students, Faculty, Staff
Admission
Free
Registration Required
No
Let us help you with your search